Communications Team Assistant
About UN University
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU's work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals' full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today, it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. More information on UNU-WIDER and its current work programme is available in the institute's website.
Under the supervision of the Communications Officer the incumbent will:
- Assist in the administration of the Institute’s main website www.wider.unu.edu, related sites, newsletter, and other digital products to facilitate knowledge mobilization and ensure research uptake and impact.
- Write first drafts of promotional copy for the website, social media, and other communication channels; assist in the production the Institute’s knowledge translation products such as policy and research briefs, reports, interviews, and other material, including design, status tracking, online layout.
- Assist in the organization of events, including conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions, the WIDER Annual Lecture, press briefings, interviews etc., and produce associated communications components; take part in planning and implementing visual components and digital products for the Institute’s events, including conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions, WIDER Annual Lectures, press briefings, interviews, etc.
- Assist in administration, tagging, quality control, linking, and metadata entry, checking for uniformity of entries of the Institute’s websites, publications repository, CiviCRM, and other platforms and databases.
- Assist in the monitoring, reviewing, and recording of media coverage of UNU-WIDER and its research and provide weekly updates for the website.
- Assist in the design and layout of varied products in print and electronic media projects, such as brochures, catalogues, flyers, posters, and online newsletters; support and implement the Institute’s brand and design in communications materials.
- Assist the communications team with the timely management of the UNU-WIDER social media and web presence, especially in the management of the Institute’s YouTube and Flickr accounts, as well as dissemination through established channels with partner organizations and the larger United Nations University network.
- Review, record, route and/or process mail and/or other documents; gather pertinent background material; track and monitor follow-up action as required.
- Use standard word processing packages to produce a variety of draft reports, tables, charts, graphs, etc., in accordance with institutional standards.
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and assist in compiling and researching data for reporting on the activities and impact of the work unit.
- Update and maintain large distribution lists; assemble documents, reports, and other materials for global dissemination, where possible using electronic formats.
- Provide general office support services to help ensure the smooth functioning of the team.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with at least one (1) year of relevant work experience preferably in an international organization, or completion of secondary school education with at least four (4) years of relevant work experience preferably in an international organization.
- Excellent command of English language writing for academic and non-academic target audiences. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
- Experience in using Drupal (or other CMS), CiviCRM (or other CRM) and database tools.
- Good command of MS Office, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Understands key development issues.
- A track record on communicating economics and development research to academic and non-academic audiences is an advantage.
- Working skills in graphic design and experience with Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDe-sign and Photoshop) is an advantage.
- Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage; previous experience of working in international development organizations would be an asset.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision as part of a medium-size team with resilience.
- Ability to establish priorities, multi-task, and work within tight timelines.
- Excellent team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as an ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
The successful candidate will be employed under a local PSA contract and no relocation allowances apply. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including a monthly net salary of EUR2,947.21. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Duration of contract
The duration of the initial contract is 1 year. This is a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration on a PSA contract with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA is 65 years.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, possible work arrangements (Helsinki, or telecommuting) will be discussed with shortlisted candidates during the interview process.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants must submit their application online through Impactpool and upload the following documents:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the UNU website. Please do not use similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- An up-to-date CV
- A copy of the highest educational degree obtained
Only upload documents as requested. Applications submitted with additional documents e.g., letters of reference may be disqualified.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
PSA holders do no hold international civil servant status, nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names, and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.