United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity-building, to solutions to the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. It is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to support the Finance Team of the Institute. For more information on UNU-WIDER and its work programme, please visit www.wider.unu.edu.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief, Administrative & Programme Services and the day-to-day supervision of the Senior Finance Assistant the incumbent will:
- Support the day-to-day operations for the full spectrum of accounting services, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, application of cash receipts, billings and reconciliations.
- Process payments and prepare vouchers for various accounting entries.
- Assist with the financial aspect of travel-related work including calculation of per diem payments, preparing and/or processing of e.g. purchase orders, expense claims, vouchers; disburses per diem payments to meeting participants; reviews travel claims and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy and validity.
- Monitor expenditures to ensure they remain within the authorized budget.
- Support the initiatives taken to improve workflow and streamline financial processes to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- Attend to enquiries related to finance matters and draft correspondences.
- Assist with the closing of monthly accounts, and the preparation of financial reports and supporting schedules.
- Assist with duties during absence of other staff within the Finance Team.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned or required.
Required qualifications and experience
- Completion of relevant secondary education, and be enrolled or have completed a degree programme. Studies undertaken in the field of accounting, finances or business administration would be an advantage.
- Preferably one (1) year or more experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office, particularly in Excel.
- Knowledge of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system (preferably Oracle / PeopleSoft) would be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other United Nations official languages and Finnish is an asset.
- Diplomacy, aptitude and accuracy in detail work are essential.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task and work within tight timelines.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
The remuneration is based on an hourly rate of EUR 17 for actual hours worked.
Duration of contract
The work will be performed at UNU-WIDER premises on a full-time or part-time basis (at a minimum of 75% rate, i.e. 15 actual full days worked per month). Based on the part-time, the work can be conducted hourly at a minimum of 112.50 hours per month.
The contract period will be ideally at least for three (3) months. General conditions of contracts for the service of individual contractors apply.
This is a locally-recruited position and no relocation allowance applies. The post is limited to a person residing in Finland including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
This contract carries no entitlement to paid annual leave or sick leave.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form and must upload the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position.
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations.
- An up-to-date CV.
- A copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).