IT Helpdesk, part-time 50%
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies, leading universities, and research institutions across the globe. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today, it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. More information on UNU-WIDER and its current work programme are available on the Institute's website.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong communication and troubleshooting / problem solving skills to join the institute’s ICT Team.
Under the supervision of the Team Lead-Information Systems Associate the incumbent will be required to perform the following functions:
- Install application systems software and hardware according to specifications.
- Provide basic technical support on relevant hardware and software systems applications in assigned area.
- Administration, support, and configuration of MS Office 365.
- Assist in improving business processes using Microsoft Office 365 platform.
- Stay current with the latest technology developments and provide recommendations regarding changes to current standards and solutions as appropriate.
- Ensure problems and issues are systematically tracked, escalated accordingly, and followed up on in a timely manner.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology and 2 years of relevant work experience or completion of secondary school education and 5 years of relevant work experience.
- SharePoint Online and other Office365 applications configuration and troubleshooting.
- Computer hardware and software installation, configuration, and administration.
- Windows Operating System desktop support and multi-function printers.
- Strong problem-solving and time management skills.
- Self- motivated, critical thinker and ability to thrive in a small team environment.
- Strong client-services orientation with excellent communication skills to non-technical staff.
- Fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and a high level of resilience.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi- ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Comfort with collaboration across functional borders.
Familiarity and experience with some or all the following applications is not required but is an advantage
- Windows Image Deployment & Administration.
- Windows PowerShell.
- Microsoft Active Directory.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
This is an employment under a Personnel Service Agreement contract (PSA). A monthly net remuneration of EUR 1,651.16 for part-time work (at a 50% rate; i.e., 2.5 days worked per week).
This is a locally-recruited position and no relocation allowance applies. The position is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, possible work arrangements (Helsinki, or telecommuting) will be discussed with shortlisted candidates during the interview process.
This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 1.25 working days per month (a total of 15 days of paid annual leave), and private health insurance coverage.
Duration of contract
This is a part-time employment (at a 50% rate; i.e., 2.5 days worked per week) on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-WIDER with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants must submit their application online through Impactpool and upload the following documents:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- An up-to-date CV
- A copy of the highest educational degree obtained
Only upload documents as requested. Applications submitted with additional documents e.g., letters of reference may be disqualified.