About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as original research that is ‘open access’. More information on UNU-WIDER's current work programme is available on the institute's website.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding procurement or administrative professional with strong commitment and potential to support the Procurement Team of the Institute.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Administrative & Programme Services and the day-to-day supervision of the Administrative and Procurement Associate, the incumbent will:
- Provide procurement, logistical and administrative support to the Procurement Team in the acquisition of a wide variety of goods and services
- Take part in the implementation of procurement plans by carrying out market surveys and vendor sourcing exercises, prepare and issue tender documents, purchase orders (POs)/contracts and POs/contracts amendments using appropriate standard models, ensure that all relevant information has been provided and that tenders/contracts documents are complete
- Monitor status of existing requisitions, maintain contact with suppliers to ensure timely delivery of goods and services, coordinate shipment of goods/commodities/equipment, verify receipt and inspection of deliverables, and accurately report as and when required
- Prepare abstracts of offers and compile data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible under the guidance of the Procurement Team Lead
- Produce tender documents (e.g. Invitations to Bids, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of requirements and cost of procurement involved
- Assist Procurement Team Lead in more complex, higher-value purchasing operations; coordinate distribution of pertinent documents to concerned parties, ensure appropriate follow-up action, etc.
- Maintain relevant internal databases and files; keep track of any contractual agreements, systems contracts, etc., and inform relevant users of contractual rights and obligations
- Research, retrieve and present information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity, etc., as well as obtain specifications for new products and equipment on the market
- Take part in the administration and maintenance assignments related to the office premises (including service calls, issuance of ID cards and access rights) and provide backup services as required
- Perform data entry and extraction functions (e.g. in Excel, Word, Access), check accuracy of calculations, coding, data etc.; prepare and process administrative requests/documents (e.g. expense claims, vendor and taxation forms, payment vouchers etc.)
- Enter data in the Atlas ERP system on all incoming property, plant and equipment (PP&E), acquisitions, disposals, transfers, deletions and corrections; update the Property Record Custodians database according to requests; participate in periodical physical inventories of PP&E
- Perform a variety of administrative duties (e.g. support to conferences and workshops, reservations, office supply and equipment orders etc.)
- Draft routine correspondence
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Management or equivalent with at least three (3) years of relevant work experience preferably in an international organization, or,
- Completion of secondary school education with at least four (4) years of relevant work experience preferably in an international organization
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office, particularly in Excel
- Knowledge of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system (preferably Oracle/PeopleSoft) would be an advantage
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in both oral and written English; knowledge of other United Nations official languages and Finnish is an asset
- Diplomacy, aptitude and accuracy in detail work are essential
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with a high level of resilience
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task, and work within tight timelines
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications, experience and level of responsibilities within the administration.
This is a locally-recruited post and no relocation allowance applies. The post is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU has its own medical insurance for employees contracted under a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA).
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-WIDER, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using the 'Apply here' link on the left side column and must upload the following:
- a cover letter setting out how their qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- an up-to-date CV
- a copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, article 8).