United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity-building, to solutions to the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. It is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. For more information on UNU-WIDER and its work programme, please visit www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to support the research and training programme of the Institute.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Institute, the Research Assistant will perform the following duties:
- Support UNU-WIDER and UNU-WIDER Research Fellows under its work programmes, including research and teaching.
- Prepare papers for the UNU-WIDER discussion paper series and subsequent journal/book publication.
- Construct and maintain databases and collect research materials for the research team.
- Participate in selected UNU-WIDER conferences and seminars.
- Participate in the organization and teaching of the joint HECER – UNU-WIDER Master’s Programme in Development Economics.
- Other duties as requested by the supervisor related to the research work of UNU-WIDER.
Required qualifications and experience
- A Master’s degree with strong analytical and quantitative skills in economics or related field. Persons, such as final year students who are close to getting their Master’s degree can also be considered. Preference is given for those who have started their doctoral studies in economics or related field and have some experience in conducting research.
- Excellent drafting skills and fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task and work within tight timelines.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills, as well as an ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications, experience and level of responsibilities within the administration.
This is a locally-recruited post and no relocation allowance applies. The post is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
This contract carries no entitlement to paid annual leave or sick leave.
General conditions of contracts for the service of Consultants apply.
Duration of contract
The work will be performed on a full-time or part-time basis (at a minimum of 50% rate; i.e. 9 actual full days worked per month). The work can be performed outside UNU-WIDER premises, in accordance with the approved Training Work Plan to be agreed later. Based on part-time, the work can be conducted hourly at a minimum of 67.5 hours per month.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form and must upload the following:
- a cover letter setting out how their qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- an up-to-date CV
- a copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, article 8).