Research Fellow P-4, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity-building, to solutions to the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. It is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency – providing a range of services from policy advice to governments as well as freely available original research. For more information on UNU-WIDER and its work programme, please visit www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is in the process of setting up a joint research, policy and capacity-building programme with the UONGOZI institute based in Tanzania. UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to support this programme. For more information on UNU-WIDER and its work programme, please visit www.wider.unu.edu. For more information on the UONGOZI institute, please visit http://uongozi.or.tz/. The position is based at the UONGOZI institute in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Under the supervision of the Director, the Research Fellow will:
- Contribute effectively to the formulation and implementation of the joint UONGOZI and UNU-WIDER research, policy and capacity-building programme.
- Manage projects and activities involving UONGOZI and UNU-WIDER personnel, external researchers, policy makers and other stakeholders.
- Engage in organizing research, policy and outreach events, performing as well a key role in preparing and implementing conference, communication and meeting activities vis-à-vis target audiences.
- Carry out own research alongside teaching, training and supervision supporting the capacity-building programme at the UONGOZI institute, including guidance of junior researchers and PhD students.
- Prepare research studies and management reports.
- Prepare presentations and speeches for specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director.
Required qualifications and experience
- PhD in Economics, Development Economics, or similar field.
- A minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively relevant professional work experience, including the management of research and training programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to independently carry out and manage effectively development research activities in an international environment.
- A proven track record of academic and policy publications.
- Good knowledge of the international research and policy agenda in areas related to UNU-WIDER’s and UONGOZI’s work programmes.
- Teaching and research supervision experience.
- Excellent communications and drafting skills, with fluency in oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
- Excellent team player with strong, well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at P-4 level and allowances including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common Systems, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant, removal expenses and home leave. For more information, please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
Duration of contract
This is a full time fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of fixed-term appointments not exceeding six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form and must upload the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- a list of publications
- an up-to-date CV
- A copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).