Senior Finance Assistant GS-6
United Nations University Objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity-building, to solutions to pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. For more information on UNU-WIDER, please visit www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to support the research and training programme of the Institute.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Administrative & Programme Services the Senior Finance Assistant will:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations for the full spectrum of accounting services, which include accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, billings and reconciliations;
- Contribute to the timely month-end closure of accounts, and the preparation of financial reports and supporting schedules for submission to UNU headquarters;
- Support the biennium budgeting process through the preparation of supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) for the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals;
- Prepare budget execution reports, highlighting variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures;
- Provide guidance and training to personnel concerning application of the United Nations Financial Regulations and Rules, and the interpretation of requirements for handling financial transactions;
- Lead initiatives to improve workflow and streamline financial processes to enhance efficiency and productivity;
- Cover the financial aspects of donor/project reporting;
- Assist and analyse information needed to respond to audit findings;
- Act as an alternate Approving Officer;
- Supervise and review the work of staff performing financial operations;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned or required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of relevant secondary education;
- At least 7 years of experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area;
- Proficiency in the use of MS office;
- Knowledge of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system (preferably PeopleSoft-Atlas) is an advantage;
- Knowledge of the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) or the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) is an advantage;
- Excellent communications and drafting skills, with fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset;
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience; • Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task and work within tight timelines;
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted in Finland) at GS-6 level on the UN Finland salary scale, plus the standard United Nations entitlements / benefits for General Service category position in the United Nations common system http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
Duration of Contract
This is a full time fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance. The mandatory age of retirement for newly recruited United Nations staff is 65 years.
This is a locally recruited post and is limited to persons residing in Finland; no relocation expenses or allowances apply.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Application Procedure Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form and must upload the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- An up-to-date CV;
- A copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, Article 8).