Senior Systems Analyst P-2
About UN University
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy- oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU's work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals' full breadth, generating policy- relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today, it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. More information on UNU-WIDER and its current work programme are available on the Institute's website.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to join the Institute's Operational Support Unit in the ICT Team:
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Operations Officer of UNU-WIDER and thematic supervision of the Chief Information Officer of UNU the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Providing ICT leadership at UNU-WIDER to ensure delivery in support of UNU-WIDER’s mission and managing the day-to-day work of the team.
- In coordination with the UNU Campus Computing Centre (C3), implementing UNU-wide ICT solutions, standards and strategies locally at UNU-WIDER.
- Providing strategic lead and on-site management of the technical development and maintenance of the Institute’s web and systems ecology.
- Maintaining and advancing the Institute’s ICT infrastructure and services by leveraging modern technology in accordance with best practices.
- Building strong partnership relationships with units to support needs and requirements through ICT while mitigating security risks.
- Ensuring a robust ICT disaster preparedness plan is in place and validated through periodic testing.
- Acting as focal point for ICT investment planning and procurement and developing detailed specifications for proposed solutions.
- Providing guidance to, and supervising, new/junior staff and consultants.
- Performing ad hoc duties as required.
Required qualifications and experience
- An advanced university degree (MS degree or equivalent) in computing, engineering, or related field with at least 2 years of relevant professional experience; or
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) with at least 4 years of relevant professional experience.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in management and operations of Drupal.
- Solid understanding of CiviCRM’s architecture and working knowledge of CiviCRM in a Drupal environment (e.g., configuring, troubleshooting, developing page templates).
- Certification in cloud computing, preferably Azure Cloud or AWS.
- Ability to transform legacy solutions to the cloud.
- Advanced experience and knowledge across ICT operations, including networking, virtualization, security, business continuity, disaster recovery, budgeting.
- Demonstrated administrative knowledge of MS 365 SharePoint Online.
- Experience with scripting and automation tools (e.g., PowerShell, Python).
- Knowledge of MS 365 technical architecture and core Azure services.
- Comfortable with MS Windows and Linux operating system environments.
- Ability to assess and gather business requirements and turn them into implementations.
- Conceptual understanding of DevOps.
- Familiarity with SDLC methodologies and version control software.
- Strong analytical thinking and troubleshooting/problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management, communication, collaboration, and prioritization skills.
- Experience with the United Nations system or similar international organization and with relevant policies, guidelines and procedures is an asset.
- Excellent drafting skills with fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other UN languages would be an asset.
- Excellent team player with strong leadership and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Project management skills
- ITIL experience
- Coding algorithms
- Data analysis methodologies
UNU offers an attractive, tax exempt compensation package including an annual net salary at P-2 level and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy. For more information please see: https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=SAL
Duration of contract
This is a full-time fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance.
The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
Expected start date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants must submit their application online through Impactpool and upload the following documents:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- an up-to-date CV
- a copy of the highest educational degree obtained
Only upload documents as requested. Applications submitted with additional documents e.g., letters of reference may be disqualified.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector of the United Nations University. They may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University. The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names, and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.