Web Development Associate GS-6
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as original research that is ‘open access’. For more information on UNU-WIDER and its work programme on the institute's website.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong web and systems development skills to join the Knowledge & Information Services Team of the Institute.
Under the general co-ordination of the Information Systems Associate and overall supervision of UNU-WIDER´s Chief, Administrative & Programme Services, the Web Development Associate will perform the following functions:
- Assume strategic, tactical, and coordination responsibilities on assigned IT projects in line with the Institute’s information technology, knowledge management, and communication strategies.
- Take ownership of development, deployment and maintenance of UNU-WIDER websites.
- Work closely with the IT focal point and Communications Team in site planning, technical layout, selection and integration of web applications.
- Write well-designed, testable and efficient code by following best software development practices.
- Generate and maintain all software development documentation required as a means to share knowledge and part of the business continuity plan.
- Contribute specifications for the contracting of external consultants and vendors where needed.
- Monitor and implement updates and upgrades for all websites.
- Take ownership in development of operational management tools and platforms, including assets management database and other web projects.
- Assist in the maintenance, upgrade, or enhance existing websites; carry out needs assessment for new web projects.
- Handle the timely receipt and processing of IT requests relating to the Institute’s website and other web projects in co-ordination with relevant teams; troubleshoot, provide basic technical support, maintenance and user-training on software systems applications to multiple stakeholders including researchers and support staff.
- Monitor and apply security patches on websites.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required qualifications and experience
- Completion of relevant secondary education with at least six (6) years of relevant work experience, preferably in an international organization; or
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, or equivalent, with at least three (3) years relevant professional experience.
- Advanced site-building experience, including deep familiarity with Drupal 7 modules such as CTools, Views, features, services, Solr search and Panels.
- Experience creating custom Drupal 7 modules.
- Experience in PHP, PHP files and theme functions, and knowledge of the Drupal 7 theme layer.
- Experience developing web solutions in Drupal 7 and PHP implementations in a LAMP environment.
- Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications.
- Familiarity with common web application security risks and risk mitigation practices is a plus
- Strong client-services orientation with excellent communication skills to non-technical staff.
- Fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
- Good command of software development automation tools example Gulp/Grunt and version control tools like Git is an advantage.
- Ability to understand CSS changes to have consistent style across platforms and browsers.
- Experience or knowledge of CiviCRM or other CRM system is an advantage.
- Experience in IT project management is an advantage.
- Familiarity with Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is an advantage.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and a high level of resilience.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Comfort with collaboration across functional borders.
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted in Finland) at GS-6 level on the UN Finland salary scale, plus the standard United Nations entitlements / benefits for General Service category position in the United Nations common system http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance. The mandatory age of retirement for newly recruited United Nations staff is 65 years.
This is a locally-recruited post and is limited to persons residing in Finland; no relocation expenses or allowances apply.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using the 'Apply here' link on the left side column and must upload the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations.
- An up-to-date CV
- A copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, Article 8).