Consultant Contracts

Consultant Contracts (CTC) are used for contracting individual consultants. A consultant is a recognized authority or specialist e.g. in Development Economics, engaged by the Institute. The functions of a consultant normally involve writing original research papers on matters within their area of expertise, but can also involve duties in communications, research assistance, database assistance, event coordination etc.

CTC contract holders are considered contractors, and are not entitled to staff entitlements such as annual leave, sick leave, or maternity leave.

PDF iconConditions of Service for CTC 2021.pdf

Institutional Contractual Agreements

Some research is commissioned from strategic institutional partners for collaborative research programmes. Institutional partners are non-profit organizations, selected based on their academic and institutional merits, as well as the added ‘value for money’ they bring to the research topic and the UNU-WIDER profile. UNU Institutional Contractual Agreements (ICA) are used only for contracting non-profit, non-commercial organizations.

Institutions engaged under an Institutional Contractual Agreement shall be considered as having the legal status of an independent contractor.  Agents or employees of the contractor shall not be considered in any respect as being officials or staff members of the United Nations University.

PDF iconConditions of Service for ICA 2019.pdf

The UN Supplier Code of Conduct sets forth the expectations of all suppliers with whom the UN does business.  For more details, please find it here: UN Supplier Code of Conduct.

UNU-WIDER implements its consultancy procedures following the UN Administrative Instruction for Consultants and Individual Contractors to ensure the research collaboration activities are carried out effectively and efficiently, and in compliance with UN Financial Regulations and Rules (UNFRR).

The Contracts Team ensures that all required contracts are in accordance with the ‘best value for money’ -principle and are processed in a fair and transparent manner. The Team is also responsible for ensuring and maintaining integrity and ethic throughout the consultant contracting process. All vendors working or intending to work under a consultancy contract with UNU should follow the highest ethical standards.

The United Nations University has a zero-tolerance policy for unethical behavior and corrupt practices. UNU will reject and suspend contractors found to perform unethically.

Frequently asked questions

How can I apply for a contract?
UNU-WIDER only accepts applications to advertised opportunities.
I am a United Nations staff member. Can I enter a Consultant Contract with UNU-WIDER?
No fee can be provided to regular full-time staff of UN agencies, the World Bank and IMF without prior agreement by the respective organization. However, in lieu of the Consultant Contract, the Director of UNU-WIDER may establish a ’Letter of Agreement’ for the contribution (which is expected to be published under UNU-WIDER copyright) and possible participation in project meetings.
I am a former/retired United Nations staff member. Can I accept a Consultant Contract?
A former or retired staff member may be engaged on an individual contract subject to certain provisions, which should be cleared with the Contracts Team before entering a contract.
I intend to apply for a United Nations position soon. Are there restrictions on reemployment as a staff member
Yes, there are restrictions for consultants and individual contractors to be eligible to apply for or be appointed to certain UN posts within six months of the end their current or most recent service. The Contracts Team can provide more details if necessary.
What is the contract issuance procedure like?
Once the vendor’s details are registered in the financial system, the contract will be issued with the agreed Terms of Reference. The work should not be undertaken before the contract is signed. The contract will be emailed to the contract holder, who will be requested to return a scanned copy of the signed contract. UNU-WIDER is not able to make payments under unsigned contracts.
I am not able to submit my paper by the contracted deadline. Can I apply for an extension?
The due dates for deliverables are subject to the project’s needs.  Extensions can be approved by UNU-WIDER in exceptional cases.
Do I need to pay income tax from my fee?
The total remuneration paid to individuals are specified in gross terms. Contractors are subject to the national or local income tax laws of their country of residence and/or nationality and it is the sole responsibility of the contractor to enquire after the United Nations fee taxation legislation from the authorities in their respective country. UNU-WIDER is not responsible for payment of tax on earnings or other taxes due on the remuneration of contracts, nor is UNU-WIDER responsible for reimbursement of taxes paid by contractors in respect of earnings received. In certain cases, national governments exempt UNU contractors from payment of taxes. Such exemption is solely within the purview of the national government and cannot be based on representations by UNU that contractors are exempt.
The diplomatic status of UNU-WIDER is established in the Law Collection of Finland (FINLEX 452/84, art. VIII). In Finland, Article XIII of the Host-Country Agreement (FINLEX 36/84) stipulates that all UNU-WIDER personnel are exempt from taxation on the salaries and emoluments paid to them by the Institute while working in Finland.
I need an income statement for my tax return. Can you supply me with one?
UNU does not make payroll deductions for the purpose of remitting monies to the national tax authorities, nor is it required to report the earnings of contractors to the tax authorities. No statement of earnings will be issued by the United Nations University to the contractor. If necessary, the contract can serve as supporting document.